How To Find Out What Categories Amazon Put Your Book In

Amazon Turned A Simple Way Of Seeing Your Categories Into An Olympic-Level Pretzeling Event.

It used to be you could scroll down your book page to find out which categories your books are in.  No more.  Amazon eliminated that feature and now you can only see the top 2 categories you rank for (ebooks) and 3 categories (if you also have a paperback). Fortunately, there’s a work around but it’s a pain in the arse.  Here’s the step by step:

1. Copy your ASIN #

2.  Paste it into the search bar and on the left hand side you’ll see “Kindle books.” Click it.

Amazon category selection

3. Here you’ll see the top-level categories your book is in.  Now click one of those categories (in this example I’m going to click “Reference”

amazon categories

4.  In this example you see my book is in Reference –> Writing, Research & Publishing Guides.

But wait, there’s another subcategory within that, so I click on Writing, Research & Publishing Guides…. and see this:

amazon category selection

And there you have it. Amazon turned an elegant way of seeing all the categories you’re in (they used to list it, plain and simple)  into an Olympic-level gymnastic routine on parallel bars.  Good luck!

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHY FACEBOOK AND BLOGGING ARE A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME FOR WRITERS WHO WANT TO SELL BOOKS.

Share the love, luv!
By |2018-01-24T10:57:09+00:00January 20th, 2018|Uncategorized|7 Comments

About the Author:

7 Comments

1. bill collier January 22, 2018 at 11:59 pm - Reply

What is the asin, how do you find it?

• AdminMike January 24, 2018 at 10:58 am - Reply

Go to your book page, search for ASIN and you’ll find it. It’s below the publication date. good luck!

2. Arial Burnz January 23, 2018 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I just continue to shake my head at Amazon’s methods and seemingly lack of logical reasoning. Not sure what they’re up to. I appreciate the info!

3. BookDoggy January 24, 2018 at 1:49 pm - Reply

I wondered what happened there. I’m going to repost for BookDoggy’s authors. It’ll help when they submit their books. Thanks for this, Mike.

4. Stephanie Flint January 30, 2018 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Useful, thank you for sharing this. 🙂

5. Dave Chesson February 7, 2018 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Great article. Also, if you have KDP Rocket, just use the Cateogry Hunter feature, and type in the ASIN number there, and KDP rocket will not only list those category strings, but also tell you how many books you’d need to sell that day to be #1 or in the top 20 of that category.

6. Loretta Miles Tollefson February 25, 2018 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Was going to say that KDP Rocket ‘s Category Hunter and/or Competitor feature will do this for you. But I see Dave Chesson has beat me to it!